Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Dear Mr. Trump.

Dear Mr. Trump,

Congratulations on your winning the Presidency. I'm not sure if you'll read this or if you care, but I thought rather than post some angry post that got me nowhere, maybe we could communicate. 

See, I voted for Hillary. It was my first year voting Democrat and I didn't do it with reservation. I did it enthusiastically and without hesitation. See, as someone who sees herself TYPICALLY as a Republican, I don't agree with your treatment of people. I'm sure that's not the first time you've heard that- but I imagine (and hope) that watching half this country cry hysterically when they announced you as the winner must've caused you to take pause. 

If it didn't, it should. We need you to care about all of us. I can tell you that we don't think that you do and we are afraid of you. Not from the media, but from words that have come from you. Not from accusations, but facts. Not from our judgment or misperceptions, but from exactly who you have shown us. 

Now, I've promised my friends and family that I wouldn't wallow in sadness. So I won't. I've promised them I'd still have faith in God and I do. But I have to be honest with you, I don't understand how you are our President. I mean, I understand HOW, but it's mind boggling to me. 

Many have accused you of having no plan, that's not true. I've seen your first 100 day plan and it's more terrifying than no plan. It's racist, it's power hungry, it's misleading, its nauseating and is anti-American. 

So. Now that Hillary can't be the focus of your discussions- can we talk about these things? 

Please can you take some time away from building the most unbalanced office this country has seen since 1928 and explain to the other half of the country why they shouldn't be afraid? I've seen you hold the rainbow flag for "the gays" but no one is buying it. My nephew, who was adopted by two gay men, his dads are terrified you'll disrupt their family. My Muslim friends are afraid to go in public. Can you address this with your followers? Can you retract your call to violence please? 

Also. My girlfriends are afraid to walk down the street - they've, as a matter of fact, been experiencing more harassment since your winning. I myself have cried so much. It's literally the worst feeling. Like having the uncle who molested you over and says bad things about your black friends and gay friends and handicapped friends... and your family who is supposed to protect you lets him over because he will buy us nice Christmas gifts cuz he's got money. But he's there everyday for dinner. For 4 years. It's you. Can you apologize? With no buts. Just say you're sorry. 

My African American friends are terrified.  You stated you'll be immediately implementing a "Restoring Community Safety Act". It supposedly reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; it increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars. 

What are we doing to help stop the cycle of poverty and provide resources to urban communities? More police huh? Can we talk about this? 

Can you explain why one of your first orders of business is to replace a reputable justice with one of your own? Are you not interested in balance or are you merely interested in power? 

It seems like it's power. 

Your wall seems to scream "power". Labeling China a currency manipulator, your re appropriation of government funds... everything seems to be power focused. 

Or smoke and mirrors. Your expansion of tax brackets seemed nice at first, but it's not. We can all see through that. Like everything else- we see through it and we won't let it happen. We won't let you stop our progress. So, now that we've established that... tell me. Tell us. Tell the other half- who it's now YOUR JOB to care about - why we should embrace you. 

You have to know we won't quit. We are going to be louder, love harder, fight longer... we will NOT quit. We won't let you take our rights, take our friends rights or dignity. We won't and can't. Love wins- every time. You have to know this. So while you won the Presidency, if you maintain this hate... eventually you WILL lose. 

Please look in the mirror- please look at the people hurting today and please be a man that half of us don't believe you can be. 

- Monica 



No comments:

Post a Comment