Saturday, April 21, 2012

4-20

No, this blog post isn't about celebrating the almighty ganj... this is about a different celebration.

April 20th was the due date of a child I did not have (see previous post) and has subsequently broken my heart. Yesterday I received tons of prayers, well wishes & virtual hugs. I got lots of advice, lots of attempts to preoccupy me & distractions.

I am forever grateful for those.

The most important...the most wonderful...the best thing about yesterday was a little girl. A little girl in yellow, one years old, just a few teeth, clinging to her mom. I'd seen her before, she was so shy & I believe she questioned my sanity even at her age. She had never smiled at me before. I needed her to. Her birthday was April 19th, when I thought of her, I thought of mine. Would mine have her mannerisms? Would mine be shy? Think I'm crazy too? They could've been playmates. We could've split birthday parties for a few years.

Yes, my brain gets carried away.

So, this little girl...she comes in with her mom, in her pale yellow dress. Spaghetti straps falling off her, the hair she has is curled up, she turns her head, her eyes fix on me. I pause in my step, smile & greet her, "Well, hello princess!" She stares at me for a moment, blankly...questioning my sanity... And then...

Smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment